Over 1,200 entries cover traditional drama, versification, rhetoric, and literary history, as well as updated and extended advice on recommended further reading and a pronunciation guide to more than 200 terms.
Works reflecting the diverse material and interests encompassed by the history of literary theory and criticism.
In addition to works written in English, the database includes works which were originally written in other languages but which have had a significant bearing on English and American traditions of theory and criticism, or which have influenced contemporary theoretical debate in the English-speaking world. All works in the database appear in English.
Among its contents, the database includes:
* formal treatises on criticism and aesthetics
* discourses on the character or practice of specific genres
* theories of imagination, genius and taste
* literary biography, criticism and literary history that expresses important general arguments and precepts
* literary prefaces and dedications
* rhetorical treatises
* poetry which expresses or implies rules of composition or standards of judgement
* theoretical works in disciplines other than English literature which have had a major influence on literary theory
Comprehensive biographical database providing short biographical information on 3.6 million persons with a historical coverage. Digital facsimile articles from more than 2,300 reference works are also included for 1.3 persons.
German & German-English/English German Dictionaries