Tax laws and regulations are found at the federal, state and local levels, including court and administrative decisions, and many specialty documents.
Example: Considering the costs and ongoing operating expenses of a start up business. Tax liability is a significant expense to include in the balance sheet.
- Property taxes – for site of business/usually local government
- Withholding taxes - for employees as part of federal benefits (Soc. Sec.); how to manage/process/ federal and state
- Sales tax - how to manage/process/local and state
- Business income/corporate tax – for profits (hopefully)/federal and state
- Structure – tax implications may drive the structure of the business – sole proprietorship, subchapter S corp., partnership, corporation, all have different tax implications