Before You Go
Things to do before your first day:
- Find a research guide for your state and look through it.
- Review the resources for your state in LexisNexis/LexisAdvance, Westlaw/WestlawNext, and Bloomberg Law, especially for practice materials you may be less familiar with.
- Review your state's code and court rules.
- Learn the leading treatise(s) for your area of law.
- Review BNA newsletter(s) in your area of law.
- Determine if the Law Library has a research guide on your area of law
- Find out if there are other subject specific resources, e.g., CCH for tax law.
- Familiarize yourself with free and low-cost legal research resources.
- Familiarize yourself with non-Lexis and Westlaw databases available through the University of Chicago Library.
- Use Practical Law Company (on WestlawNext) to get helpful background on a variety of areas of law, including Antitrust, Bankruptcy, Corporate and M&A, Intellectual Property & Technology, and Litigation.
- Familiarize yourself with the transactional tools available in Bloomberg Law (e.g., DealMaker).
- Schedule a research consultation with a law librarian.
With the exception of Lexis, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law, you will have access to all other Library databases over the summer. Access to electronic resources from off-campus requires authentication through IT Services' proxy server. Links on the Library web site are configured to do this automatically. You will be prompted to login using your CNet ID and password.
Books of interest
Freedman, Judith Finer, Cracking the Code: Unlocking the Potential of Future Leaders in the Legal Profession D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF297.F74 2010
Furi-Perry, Ursula, Your First Year as a Lawyer Revealed: Secrets, Opportunities and Success! D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF297.F873 2010
Goldberg, Gerald G., Practical Lawyering: The Skills You Did Not Learn in Law School D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF300.G64 2009
Henry, Deborah Epstein, Law & Reorder:Legal Industry Solutions for Restructure, Retention, Promotion & Work/Life Balance D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF315.H46 2010
Hermann, R.L., From Lemons to Lemonade in the New Legal Job Market: Winning Job Search Strategies for Entry-Level Attorneys D'Angelo Law Bookstacks XXKF297.H437 2012
Hermann, R.L., The Lawyer's Guide to Job Security: How to Keep Your Job - and Make the Most of it - in Good Times and Bad D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF 300.H468 2010
Hermann, R.L., Managing Your Legal Career: Best Practices for Creating the Career You Want D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF297.H45 2010
Kavanugh, Kay, and Paula Nailon, Excellence in the Workplace: Legal and Life Skills D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF297.Z9K38 2007
Melcher, Michael F., The Creative Lawyer: A Practical Guide to Authentic Professional Satisfaction D'Angelo Bookstacks XXKF300.Z9M45 2007
Young Lawyers Leadership Program, The Young Lawyers: Tips on Rainmaking, Writing and Trial Practice D'Angelo Law Bookstacks XXKF297.Y678 2011