Exporting your RefWorks Database
RefWorks makes it easy to export your citations in a format that can be imported into almost any other citation manager. You may lose some customization however, and attachments will not be exported.
- Login to RefWorks
- Choose References --> Export or Export under Quick Access
- Choose all references or the folder you wish to export
- Use the default option, which is Bibliographic Software.
- Click Export. This will open a new browser window with you references formatted for import into another tool.
- Save this as a text file. Saving in another format may cause problems when importing into another tool.
Diacritic characters do not always export correctly in Chrome. We recommend using Firefox or Internet Explorer when exporting from RefWorks.
Saving your RefWorks Folders
There is no easy way to save your RefWorks folder structure when migrating to another tool. There are some tricks you can use to make it easier, though.
- Add folder names to the Descriptors field in RefWorks. Use the Global Edit function to do this quickly.
- Or, add folder names to a user defined field. Use the Global Edit here as well. This is most useful if you are planning to use EndNote.
- Consider adding "Folder" to the name when you edit your references, such as "Folder Mansueto". This can make things easier to sort into folders in your new tool.
Saving Custom Fields
If you choose to move to EndNote from RefWorks, you can save up to six custom fields. This does involve some more advanced steps with EndNote, however.