Search UChicago Collections First
Suggest a Purchase
Current imprints and materials needed for extensive use should be suggested for addition to the Library by submitting a purchase request online.
Requests Are Non-transferable
Interlibrary Loan requests are not transferable to another user's account and may only be picked up by the requestor.
Check Request Status
You may check the status of your Interlibrary Loan requests at any time by logging into your Interlibrary Loan account.
For quickest delivery, place your requests directly through WorldCat:
1. Locate in WorldCat the item you want to request. For books or book chapters, find the book. For articles, find the journal.
2. In the WorldCat record, click the button.
3. On the Find It! window, choose :
4. Log in with your CNetID to complete the request form.
5. Complete the required fields of the request form (inclusive pages, article/chapter title) and include any additional information that will assist staff in filling your request.
6. Then, click Submit Request at the bottom of the request form. You will receive an email notification when your request is available.
Most dissertations and theses published after 1996 are available online. Many dissertations written prior to that are also available.
The Library partners with the Big Ten universities, the Ivies+ consortium, and OCLC Research Libraries to share dissertations and theses. Other U.S. and Canadian dissertations may be available for loan.
Dissertations published outside the U.S. and Canada may be owned by the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), through which materials may be borrowed. Additionally, CRL will order dissertations not already held in its collections. These orders are placed as needed on your behalf by University of Chicago Interlibrary Loan staff. Note that such requests can take up to 12 months to be received.
You may purchase U.S. and Canadian dissertations directly through ProQuest Dissertations & Theses. Cost varies by format:
Purchases usually are delivered within 5 days.