What is UBorrow?
When you quickly need items that are currently unavailable from the University of Chicago Library or are not owned by the Library, search UBorrow.
UBorrow enables you to search for and request books directly from 13 major research libraries, with combined collections of more than 90 million volumes.
UBorrow is a service of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), which is comprised of the universities of the Big Ten Conference plus the University of Chicago. For more information, see the Library News feature on UBorrow.
Advantages of UBorrow
Search and request books from 13 major research libraries.
Receive books faster than with recalls or interlibrary loan.
Keep books longer than with interlibrary loan.
Books will not be recalled except under unusual circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can use UBorrow?
- Current University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff
How do I use UBorrow?
How quickly do requests arrive?
- Books usually arrive in approximately 4-5 days.
- An email notification is sent once requests are available.
Loan Periods & Renewals
- Initial loan period: 12 weeks
- Renewals: an additional 4 weeks
- Loan period and renewals for other formats varies by owning library.
Items will only be recalled under unusual circumstances, such as an item being needed by the owning library for course reserve. Borrowers will be notified by email if an item is recalled.
Fines & Blocks
Standard interlibrary loan borrowing policies -- including fines and account blocks -- apply to overdue UBorrow items.
What can be borrowed?
You may request print books that are either:
- Not owned by the University of Chicago Library
- Currently unavailable from the University of Chicago Library -- checked out, missing, on reserve, or on order
and available (e.g. not checked out) in circulation collections of participating UBorrow libraries.
If an item is available at the University of Chicago Library, UBorrow will display the call number and location of the item and direct you to the Library Catalog to help you find our local copy.
If all copies held by UBorrow libraries are unavailable, UBorrow will enable you request the item from a non-UBorrow library via Interlibrary Loan. (Loan periods and delivery times for Interlibrary Loan requests will vary.)
Which libraries participate in UBorrow?
- University of Illinois
- Indiana University
- University of Iowa
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- Michigan State University
- University of Minnesota
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Northwestern University
- Ohio State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Purdue University
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Center for Research Libraries