What are course reserves?
Course reserves are high-demand resources assigned for a specific course.
Articles, book chapters, or essays on reserve are available electronically (E-Reserve).
Books, films, music or other items that are not available online are placed physically "on reserve" at the Library. These items are available behind the Circulation Desk at the Library and are available on a short loan (2 hours, 4 hours, or sometimes 24 or 48 hours).
Finding Course Reserves on Chalk
You can find course reserve materials for your class through Chalk. Step-by-step instructions can be found below.
- Log on to Chalk with your CNetID.
- Under "My Courses", select the course which has materials on reserve.
- Select the link for "Library Course Reserves" on the menu on the left side of your screen. The link usually appears at the bottom of the list.
- The Course Reserves system will open in the main window of your course site. Your readings for this course should appear automatically. If not, click on "Current Classes" on the menu on the left side of your screen.
- Reserve items are listed alphabetically by title. If you see a long list, you can use the "Find" feature in your browser to locate a specific item.
- Articles and essays on reserve are available online (e-reserve). To open the document, click on "View Item" and then print, download or save.
- For books, music, films, or other items on reserve at the Library, click on "View Availability". This will open the Library's Lens record for the item. Write down the call number for the item and take it to the circulation desk of the Library listed in the record.
Course Reserves FAQs
Where can I find course reserve instructions and policies?
View our reserves information page.
What are the fines for returning course reserves late?
View late fees for reserve items.
My instructor said that an assigned reading is on reserve, but it is not showing on Chalk! How do I access the item?
Contact Library Course Reserves for assistance. We can check to see if the item is in process. If not, you may need to speak to your instructor.
How can I find out when reserve items become available?
Subscribe for e-mail alerts under "Class Details".
I'm auditing a class, but I cannot access the Chalk course site. How do I access reserve items for the course?
You must contact the instructor and ask to be added to the Chalk site for the course. Once you are added, you will be able to access course reserve items.
Why can't I access the reserve readings from my course from last quarter?
Due to copyright, we need to remove items on reserve after the course is completed. If you remember the reading, Ask a Librarian. We may be able to find another version of the item for you.