Determining fair use is sometimes tricky. Here are some tools that can help you think through your needs and if fair use applies to your situation.
Understanding Copyright - Fair Use Checklist
- A checklist to assist your determination of whether your proposed use of a copyrighted work is “fair use” under the Copyright Act
Fair Use Evaluator
- Interactive guide introducing the four factors of fair use (purpose, nature, amount, effect) to help users make an evaluation of the work they want to use fairly.
- Created by the ALA Office for Information Technology Policy.
Thinking Through Fair Use
- Walks users through thinking about fair use. (Based on the Fair Use Checklist developed at Columbia University Libraries.)
- Created by the University of Minnesota Libraries.