Contains citations and abstracts covering scholarly research in the field of philosophy. Covers all major articles from anthologies and books in English, Spanish, German, Italian, and French as well as 480 journals from 38 countries.
Over 1,200 entries cover traditional drama, versification, rhetoric, and literary history, as well as updated and extended advice on recommended further reading and a pronunciation guide to more than 200 terms.
Comprehensive historical survey of the field's most important figures, schools, and movements. It includes more than 240 alphabetically arranged entries on critics and theorists, critical schools and movements, and the critical and theoretical innovations of specific countries and historical periods.
Works reflecting the diverse material and interests encompassed by the history of literary theory and criticism.
In addition to works written in English, the database includes works which were originally written in other languages but which have had a significant bearing on English and American traditions of theory and criticism, or which have influenced contemporary theoretical debate in the English-speaking world. All works in the database appear in English.
Among its contents, the database includes:
* formal treatises on criticism and aesthetics
* discourses on the character or practice of specific genres
* theories of imagination, genius and taste
* literary biography, criticism and literary history that expresses important general arguments and precepts
* literary prefaces and dedications
* rhetorical treatises
* poetry which expresses or implies rules of composition or standards of judgement
* theoretical works in disciplines other than English literature which have had a major influence on literary theory