Borrow Direct Tips
Check Request Status
Though Borrow Direct is a separate service, log in to Interlibrary Loan to check the status of your Borrow Direct requests.
You will receive an email notification when your requests are available for pick-up.
Requests are sent to the delivery location you designated in your Interlibrary Loan account: Regenstein Library, Crerar Science Library, or D'Angelo Law Library.
To change your preferred delivery location, log in to Interlibrary Loan and click to "Change User Information" in the bottom left.
Renewals are not available for Borrow Direct items.
Unable to Request via Borrow Direct
Available at the UChicago Library
The message "Available at the UChicago Library" means that a Borrow Direct request is not necessary because a copy is available at the University of Chicago Library. Use the location and call number displayed in Borrow Direct to retrieve it from the University of Chicago Library.
Unavailable via Borrow Direct
The message "Unavailable via Borrow Direct" means that neither the University of Chicago Library nor any other Borrow Direct library has an available copy. Request the item via Interlibrary Loan directly from the Borrow Direct search results screen or by searching UBorrow.
Using Borrow Direct in 3 Easy Steps
1. Login to the Borrow Direct catalog and find the item you want to borrow.
2. Select your preferred pick-up location.
3. Click on the "Request" link to complete your request.
4 ways to search Borrow Direct
• Use the searchbox on the Library homepage.
• Click on the button from within Library resources like WorldCat and select the Borrow Direct option (coming September 2013).
• In the Library Catalog, click on "Borrow Direct" for checked out items.
1. Go to the Borrow Direct catalog.
2. Enter your search term(s) in the Simple Search box, or use Advanced Search to:
- Search by author, title, subject, keyword, or ISBN
- Combine multiple search types, e.g. author and title
- Limit your search to "all of these words," "any of these words," or "this phrase"
3. Click a specific title from the search results to view details and availability.
It may take a moment for Borrow Direct to determine the availability of the item at all participating libraries. You may need to scroll down the page to view availability and the "Request" link.
4. Select a pick-up location from the drop-down list.
5. Click the "Request" link.
You will receive an email when your item is available for pickup.
Please contact us if you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback about Borrow Direct.